That’s right people, we’ve nearly made it through one more year. And it was an election year at that!
Which … let’s be honest … I’m terribly surprised we managed to survive. I think we can all agree that this year’s election was just plain ugly to watch. But, hey, we managed to get through.
And that means it’s time for my Year in Review!
This is one of my favorite posts to do. It’s where I take a look at what I projected to have completed 365-ish days ago and what I hope to do next year. It’s … sort of New Year’s Resolution stuff but focused on writing.
Because if I don’t have goals I end up playing Star Wars the Old Republic and reading a ton of books.
Which … consequently … has been my whole December, but I did that on purpose. December is my month off.
So! What did I say I was going to do this year?
1) Dead Weight – the sequel to Tapped is slated for work to begin starting January 1st.
Check! Totally did that.
2) Primal – This is a new-adult-paranormal-romance novel that I’ve been kicking around for years. I’ll begin work on it sometime in June, after I’ve completed the draft for Dead Weight.
… Well … Primal was revamped into Ashwood, which I completed for NaNoWriMo this year. So, technically, I can put a check mark here too.
3) Residual Haunting – Will be completed in 2016. ‘Nuff said.
Derp. Nope. I didn’t go near Residual Haunting all year long. Big red XX in that box. I actually forgot I meant to do that this year.
4) Usurper – Is currently being edited. It may drag into the first two weeks of 2016, but not much further than that.
I did do this. But it needs another edit before I’m comfortable with it. So … I’ll put half a check-mark.
5) Persona – Is going to go onto Kindle Scout.
Big check mark here too. Persona DID go to Kindle Scout. And there it languished in obscurity because I am just horrible at asking people to vote for my things. It is now out for review with one agent and one publisher and I might try five more places before going ahead with publishing it in the Indie market.
What did I do this year that I didn’t project?
Well, I wrote a novelette called Torven and a short story called Ava and began world building a new fantasy called Swans. And I got a new kitten for the kiddo who continues to try climbing our Christmas tree. And I started a relationship with a very good man who doesn’t mind my crazy.
All in all, I’d say 2016 was a very successful year.
What do I want to do in 2017?
1) Final edits on Usurper – I have this scheduled out for January through March.
2) Dead Weight – Editing, editing, and more editing. I hope to have this novel out for sale in the Fall.
3) Swans – My new novel for the year. High epic fantasy. I lurve it already.
4) Ashwood – Beginning edits in the Fall.
5) Inmate 87101 – This would be the third installment of the Tapped series. I want to have the outline completed by the end of the year.
And that’s it! Those are my writing projections for 2017. I’m totally jazzed about it and I can’t wait to start.
I hope everyone else has something they’re looking forward to getting done in the coming year. If not, well, have a good year anyway. If you do have some writing goals then … Good luck to you! I’ll see you all in 2017!